The CAHC was formed in 2002 following an early life as an informal coalition of organizations with an interest in animal health issues in Canadian flocks and herds. Since that time, the organization has flourished as a project based organization addressing issues of concern to industry and government through projects funded by industry and government.
In 2010 the CAHC began offering secretariat services to organizations with an interest in farmed animal health and welfare. Currently, secretariat services are offered to the National Farm Animal Care Council and the National Farmed Animal Health and Welfare Council.
In 2014, the CAHC assumed responsibility for the Canadian Livestock Training Program and has continued to develop this program into a national program for livestock transport drivers. The training provides knowledge and expertise for animal care and safety in transport.
In 2015, the CAHC will begin to influence governments on policy and program matters related to the areas of interest of the CAHC.
CAHC Board of Directors
- Jennifer MacTavish, Canadian Sheep Industry (Chair)
- Gary Hazlewood, Canada Mink Breeders Association (Vice-Chair)
- Rob McNabb, Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
- Richard Devos, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Shannon Brownrigg, Registered Veterinary Technicians and Technologists of Canada
- Canada Fox Breeders Association
- Canada Mink Breeders Association
- Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Equestrian Canada
- Ontario Livestock and Poultry Council
- Serecon Management Consulting Inc.
- Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada
- National Sheep Network