The Canadian Animal Health Coalition (CAHC) is a not-for-profit organization serving Canada’s farmed animal industry. CAHC is a partnership of organizations all recognizing a shared responsibility and a collaborative approach for an effective Canadian animal health system.
Industry organizations and other non-government organizations with an interest in farmed animal health and welfare have a role to play with the federal and provincial/territorial governments in the animal health and welfare system.
The CAHC is resourced to ensure the expertise and information required to provide Canada’s farmed animal industry the capacity to build consensus, share information, provide expertise and project management.
We strive to be a non partisan in the delivery of our mandate to:
- Identify solutions for identified animal health and welfare issues through project activities;
- Influence government policy;
- Provide secretariat services for organizations in animal agriculture; and
- Manage national program(s) for the good of the farmed animal industry.
The CAHC was formed in 2002 following an early life as an informal coalition of organizations with an interest in animal health issues in Canadian flocks and herds. Since that time, the organization has flourished as a project based organization addressing issues of concern to industry and government through projects funded by industry and government.
In 2010 the CAHC began offering secretariat services to organizations with an interest in farmed animal health and welfare. Currently, secretariat services are offered to the National Farm Animal Care Council and the National Farmed Animal Health and Welfare Council.
In 2014, the CAHC assumed responsibility for the Canadian Livestock Training Program and has continued to develop this program into a national program for livestock transport drivers. The training provides knowledge and expertise for animal care and safety in transport.
In 2015, the CAHC will begin to influence governments on policy and program matters related to the areas of interest of the CAHC.
CAHC Board of Directors
- Jennifer MacTavish, Canadian Sheep Industry (Chair)
- Marianne Patten, Canada Mink Breeders Association
- David Moss, Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
- Richard Devos, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Shannon Brownrigg, Registered Veterinary Technicians and Technologists of Canada
- Canada Mink Breeders Association
- Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Ontario Livestock and Poultry Council
- Serecon Management Consulting Inc.
- Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada
- National Sheep Network